2 Chronicles 29:3-5, 11 NLT: 3 In the very first month of the first year of his reign, Hezekiah reopened the doors of the Temple of the Lord and repaired them. 4 He summoned the priests and Levites to meet him at the courtyard east of the Temple. 5 He said to them, "Listen to me, you Levites! Purify yourselves, and purify the Temple of the Lord, the God of your ancestors. Remove all the defiled things from the sanctuary.
11 My sons, do not neglect your duties any longer! The Lord has chosen you to stand in his presence, to minister to him, and to lead the people in worship and present offerings to him."
1. Tear down.
- The idols - Ezekiel 14:3 NLT: Son of man, these leaders have set up idols in their hearts. They have embraced things that will make them fall into sin. Why should I listen to their requests?
- The doors - Zechariah 7:12 NLT: They made their hearts as hard as stone, so they could not hear the instructions or the messages that the Lord of Heaven's Armies had sent them by his Spirit through the earlier prophets. That is why the Lord of Heaven's Armies was so angry with them.
2. Clean out.
- The time to purify - eight days to get to the foyer, and eight more to finish the temple
- Drag out the unclean things.
- Cleanse the articles of worship.
- Clean lips
- Clean hands
- Clean mind
- The blood of Jesus is what cleanses.
- Bring back the lost articles of worship.
- Return to the things you once did.
- Revelation 2:5 NLT: Look how far you have fallen! Turn back to me and do the works you did at first. If you don't repent, I will come and remove your lampstand from its place among the churches.
3. Lift up.
- It takes Levites - Only the Levites were suited for this task. This symbolizes the lifestyle of worship and devotion that accompanies the process of cleansing the temple.
- Personal worship
- Corporate worship
Come to nights of prayer!
- Monday focus: prayer for our personal relationship with God
- Tuesday focus: prayer for our family and friends
- Wednesday focus: prayer for our church and the global church
- Thursday focus: prayer for our jobs and businesses
- Friday focus: prayer for our nation