Luke 18:6–8 NLT — 6 Then the Lord said, “Learn a lesson from this unjust judge. 7 Even he rendered a just decision in the end. So don’t you think God will surely give justice to his chosen people who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? 8 I tell you, he will grant justice to them quickly! But when the Son of Man returns, how many will he find on the earth who have faith?”
Jesus foresaw . . .
- People would stop believing:
- In God
- In Him
- In miracles
What are the reasons for this loss of faith?
- Time — fading faith
- Experiences — fickle faith
- Humanistic reasoning — forensic faith
We Want a FAITHFUL FAITH!
Luke 2:25–31 NLT — 25 At that time there was a man in Jerusalem named Simeon. He was righteous and devout and was eagerly waiting for the Messiah to come and rescue Israel. The Holy Spirit was upon him 26 and had revealed to him that he would not die until he had seen the Lord’s Messiah. 27 That day the Spirit led him to the Temple. So when Mary and Joseph came to present the baby Jesus to the Lord as the law required, 28 Simeon was there. He took the child in his arms and praised God, saying, 29 “Sovereign Lord, now let your servant die in peace, as you have promised. 30 I have seen your salvation, 31 which you have prepared for all people.”
Five Characteristics of FAITHFUL FAITH
1. RIGHTEOUS faith
- The best definition of this word in this context is “law-abiding, upright.”
- There is a lifestyle that accompanies a faithful faith.
- It can be really hard to stay with God when your conduct doesn’t line up with God’s Word.
- Proverbs 13:15 KJV — Good understanding giveth favour: but the way of transgressors is hard.
- To transgress means to cross over a line. Your faith will not hold fast if you continually cross lines.
2. DEVOUT faith
- Earnest, disciplined, in pursuit
- Consistent when you feel like it and even when you don’t
- Mature faith isn’t about getting deeper and deeper; it’s about getting more consistent with the elementary truths.
- Some things you just have to SETTLE in your mind forever.
- Devout means invested; it means that you have put all your eggs in one basket.
3. EXPECTANT faith
- The relationship between FAITH and HOPE
- When you BELIEVE Christmas is coming, you can HOPE for it.
- What are we supposed to be expecting?
- The GLORY OF THE LORD TO FILL THE WHOLE EARTH
- The RETURN OF JESUS
- The FULL INHERITANCE PROMISED TO US
4. SPIRIT-EMPOWERED faith
- I am convinced that apart from the Holy Spirit, we don’t have sustaining power.
- If we are SAVED through His power, we must also be SUSTAINED by His power.
- The presence of the Holy Spirit overshadowed Simeon.
- He was surrounded, led, and sustained by the Spirit.
5. PLANTED faith
- This is so important: “Simeon was there.”
- Don’t become overconfident outside God’s house. It may seem like you can be strong without the gathering together of believers, but you were meant to be in His courts.
- Psalm 84:4 NASB95 — How blessed are those who dwell in Your house! They are ever praising You. Selah.
- Psalm 65:4 NASB95 — How blessed is the one whom You choose and bring near to You to dwell in Your courts. We will be satisfied with the goodness of Your house, Your holy temple.
Psalm 26:8 NLT — I love your sanctuary, LORD, the place where your glorious presence dwells.