Exodus 34:6-8 (NLT) - 6 The LORD passed in front of Moses, calling out, “Yahweh! The LORD! The God of compassion and mercy! I am slow to anger and filled with unfailing love and faithfulness. 7 I lavish unfailing love to a thousand generations. I forgive iniquity, rebellion, and sin. But I do not excuse the guilty. I lay the sins of the parents upon their children and grandchildren; the entire family is affected— even children in the third and fourth generations.” 8 Moses immediately threw himself to the ground and worshiped.
- Translated - Loyal love, steadfast love, loving-kindness
- Ruth demonstrated hesed to Naomi when she wouldn’t leave her.
- David demonstrated hesed to Jonathan when he loved Mephibosheth.
- Hesed - INITIATING love.
- Hesed - LOYAL love
- Hesed - GENEROUS love
- Hesed - KIND love
- Hesed - COVENANT love
- David and Israel understood this love; it is mentioned 127 times in the Psalms.
- Psalm 36:5 (ESV) - 5 Your steadfast love, O LORD, extends to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds.
- Psalm 118:1–4 (ESV) - 1 Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever! 2 Let Israel say, “His steadfast love endures forever.” 3 Let the house of Aaron say, “His steadfast love endures forever.” 4 Let those who fear the LORD say, “His steadfast love endures forever.”
- Psalm 136:1 (ESV) - 1 Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever.
- Translated - Truth, honesty, faithful, secure, steadfast
- Emet is RELIABLE
- Emet is SOLID
- Emet is TRUE
3. The combo! Loyal Love and Faithfulness
- Psalm 85:10 (ESV) - 10 Steadfast love and faithfulness meet; righteousness and peace kiss each other.
- Psalm 89:14 (ESV) - 14 Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne; steadfast love and faithfulness go before you.
- Proverbs 3:3 (ESV) - 3 Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart.
- God is FULL of these two.
4. Seen in the face of Jesus
- John 1:14 (NLT) — 14 So the Word became human and made his home among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness. And we have seen his glory, the glory of the Father’s one and only Son.
- These are NOT opposite sides of the same coin. These two are powerful twins.