Luke 24:49 (NLT) - “And now I will send the Holy Spirit, just as my Father promised. But stay here in the city until the Holy Spirit comes and fills you with power from heaven.”
Acts 1:8 (NLT)- But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
Three things the Holy Spirit will give you power for:
1. Power to Live Godly
- 2 Timothy 3:5 (NLT) They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that!
- Power to Overcome Temptation
- Power to be a Godly example to your friends and family.
- Power to serve the Lord with longevity.
- The presence of God will draw you close to Him; The power of God will keep you near Him.
2. Power for Miracles
- Power to pray for the sick and see them recover.
- Acts 3:6 NIV - Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”
- God desires that we have the power to heal the sick.
- Luke 8:46 NIV - But Jesus said, “Someone touched me; I know that power has gone out from me.”
- Authority over the enemy
- Moving in gifts of power
3. Power to Have Courage
- Power to be BOLD and share your faith with others.
- And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
- Sharing your faith takes courage, but courage is not enough. It takes the power of the Holy Spirit.
- You have to overcome a fear of man and rejection. 2 Timothy 1:7 NLT - For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity but of power, love, and self-discipline.
- Isaiah 61:1-2 - The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is upon me, for the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to comfort the brokenhearted and to proclaim that captives will be released and prisoners will be freed. He has sent me to tell those who mourn that the time of the Lord’s favor has come, and with it, the day of God’s anger against their enemies.
- We must understand that we have access to the power of God.
- We must connect to the power through prayer.
- We must activate the power of God inside of us.