Pastor Larry Stockstill
Sunday, Nov 15, 2020
1. The kingdom and “rest”
- Noah’s name means “rest, a place of security, no motion, settled in a particular place.”
- During the 40-day storm in Genesis, Noah and his family were safe and secure inside the kingdom boat. They were in rest when the world was in chaos.
- They were able to go about their life and work on the INSIDE and were protected from the OUTSIDE.
2. KINGDOM REST is “walking in the Spirit.”
- The Holy Spirit led Israel out of Egypt to a place of rest. YOU MUST FOLLOW THE SPIRIT, NOT YOUR FLESH OR MIND.
- When you get into your mind, your emotions, or your feelings, you step out of rest. Walking in the Spirit is walking in REST.
- Praying in the Spirit is how to live in REST: “For by people of strange lips and with a foreign tongue the Lord will speak to this people, to whom he has said, ‘This is rest; give rest to the weary; and this is repose’; yet they would not hear” (Isaiah 28:11–12 ESV).
3. KINGDOM REST is “casting your cares.”
- “For thus said the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel, ‘In returning and rest you shall be saved; in quietness and in trust shall be your strength.’ But you were unwilling” (Isaiah 30:15 ESV, emphasis added).
- YOUR STRENGTH COMES FROM REST.
- We must learn the art of returning to our rest: “Return, O my soul, to your rest; for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you” (Psalm 116:7 ESV).
- Cast your care upon the Lord.
- “Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and He cares about you watchfully” (1 Peter 5:7 AMPC).
- WORRY IS THE DOWN PAYMENT ON SOMETHING THAT MIGHT NOT HAPPEN.
- CASTING YOUR CARE in the Greek means to to “fling something violently with force.” Like a discus thrower, fling it with all your might! Your shoulders are not big enough to carry your burden.
- WHEN YOU WORK, GOD RESTS. WHEN YOU REST, GOD WORKS.
4. KINGDOM REST IS “walking in love.”
- LOVE BRINGS REST; strife BRINGS ANXIETY.
- Martha had no rest. She was full of strife with everyone.
- “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion [REST], which will not be taken away from her” (Luke 10:41–42 ESV).
- Mary stayed in rest. She walked in love instead of strife.
- Be sure you have forgiven everyone. Be sure you are not being motivated by fear. Be sure you are not jealous of someone or ambitious to be exalted. STAY IN REST. Walk in love and stay in your rest.