Mark 1:35–39 (NLT) - 35 Before daybreak the next morning, Jesus got up and went out to an isolated place to pray. 36 Later Simon and the others went out to find him. 37 When they found him, they said, "Everyone is looking for you." 38 But Jesus replied, "We must go on to other towns as well, and I will preach to them, too. That is why I came." 39 So he traveled throughout the region of Galilee, preaching in the synagogues and casting out demons.
Jesus was missional in everything He did: "The son of man has come to seek and save that which was lost."
Matthew 10:1 (NLT) — 1 Jesus called his twelve disciples together and gave them authority to cast out evil spirits and to heal every kind of disease and illness.
Matthew 10:5–8 (NLT) — 5 Jesus sent out the twelve apostles with these instructions: "Don't go to the Gentiles or the Samaritans, 6 but only to the people of Israel—God's lost sheep. 7 Go and announce to them that the Kingdom of Heaven is near. 8 Heal the sick, raise the dead, cure those with leprosy, and cast out demons. Give as freely as you have received!
Missional is how we are to perceive our lives.
- Missions is not a nebulous international trip; it is every day!
- Every day, we can choose between MISSION or MUNDANE.
5 Principles of a Missional Mindset:
1. Principle #1 - We GATHER to be SENT
2. Principle #2 - Missions and the Miraculous go together
- "Heal the sick, raise the dead, cure those with leprosy, and cast out demons."
- The miraculous accompanies the mission!
- Miracles to meet the need
- Miracles to prove the message
- Miracles to provide for the missionary!
3. Principle #3 - Missions and Mercy go together
- "Give as freely as you have received!"
- Jesus' ministry always met the need.
4. Principle #4 - Missions happen in Moments
- Jesus' entire ministry was "moments with people."
- To be mission-minded, you are LOOKING FOR MOMENTS.
- Moments to pray
- Moments to pay
- Moments to stay
- Moments to say
5. Principle #5 - Missions bring Meaning
- Luke 10:17–21 (NLT) - 17 When the seventy-two disciples returned, they joyfully reported to him, "Lord, even the demons obey us when we use your name!" 18 "Yes," he told them, "I saw Satan fall from heaven like lightning!
- MISSION IS BETTER THAN MUNDANE!
- "My nourishment comes from doing the will of him who sent me and from finishing His work."
- The happiest you will ever be is in the middle of being used by God.