Acts 13:1-6 (NLT) 1 Among the prophets and teachers of the church at Antioch of Syria were Barnabas, Simeon (called “the black man”), Lucius (from Cyrene), Manaen (the childhood companion of King Herod Antipas), and Saul. 2 One day as these men were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Dedicate Barnabas and Saul for the special work to which I have called them.” 3 So after more fasting and prayer, the men laid their hands on them and sent them on their way. 4 So Barnabas and Saul were sent out by the Holy Spirit. They went down to the seaport of Seleucia and then sailed for the island of Cyprus. 5 There, in the town of Salamis, they went to the Jewish synagogues and preached the word of God. John Mark went with them as their assistant. 6 Afterward they traveled from town to town across the entire island until finally they reached Paphos, where they met a Jewish sorcerer, a false prophet named Bar-Jesus.
Five things we see from this passage:
1. The mindset of mission - CONSECRATION
- Prayer and fasting set the stage for God to speak.
- Prayer and fasting always lead to a sense of passion and purpose.
2. The mindset of mission - CALLING
- “Special work to which I have called them”
- 1 Corinthians 12:6 (NASB95) - 6 There are varieties of EFFECTS, but the same God who works all things in all persons.
- The mindset of missions is “I am CALLED”
3. The mindset of mission - COVERING
- We all need covering; this is an important element of missional living
- Why you need covering
- Confirmation - You never want to be somewhere God hasn’t called you!
- Accountability - You need accountability for your sake and the sake of the reputation of the gospel.
- Strength - You need relational, prayer, and emotional support.
- “The men laid their hands on them and sent them on their way.”
4. The mindset of mission - COURAGE
- Christianity in the wild always takes COURAGE!
- Witnessing on airplanes, preaching the gospel.
5. The mindset of mission - CLOSENESS
- When you are out in the wild, your only guidance is the Holy Spirit
- When you go out on mission, you have to listen to the Holy Spirit.