Act 2:1-4 ESV - 1 When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place. 2 And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. 3 And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.
1. Pentecost is a MOVEMENT
- The sound of a mighty rushing wind
- One thing you can know for sure is the Holy Spirit is MOVING!
- He MOVED from Law to Spirit
- He MOVED from Israel to the Church
- He MOVED from natural Harvest to spiritual Harvest.
- He MOVED from Sinai to Zion!
- Hebrews 12:18-24 NLT: 18 You have not come to a physical mountain, to a place of flaming fire, darkness, gloom, and whirlwind, as the Israelites did at Mount Sinai. …22 No, you have come to Mount Zion, to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to countless thousands of angels in a joyful gathering. 23 You have come to the assembly of God's firstborn children, whose names are written in heaven. You have come to God himself, who is the judge over all things. You have come to the spirits of the righteous ones in heaven who have now been made perfect. 24 You have come to Jesus, the one who mediates the new covenant between God and people, and to the sprinkled blood, which speaks of forgiveness instead of crying out for vengeance like the blood of Abel.
2. Pentecost is a MANIFESTATION
- Tongues of fire settled on each one's head.
- LAMP - the lamp was always burning on the candle sticks
- TABERNACLE - the flame always was over the tabernacle
- MANIFESTATION -
- Definition - an event, action, or object that clearly shows or embodies something, especially a theory or an abstract idea.
- Manifesting anxiety - biting your nails, driving fast, and yelling at people
- Manifesting insecurity - dressing in a way to get attention, exaggerating facts for approval
- The Holy Spirit Manifests Himself
- In Gifts
- 1 Corinthians 12:7-11 ESV: 7 To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. 8 For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills.
- In Fruit
- Galatians 5:22-23 NLT: 22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!
3. Pentecost is a MESSAGE
- They all spoke other languages!
- These were known languages inspired by the Holy Spirit.
- At Babel, He divided tongues; at Pentecost, He united them.
- The message is, "He cares about the entire world."
- 7100 languages spoken, and He knows every single one
- The message is "It is the time of harvest."
- Pentecost is the beginning of the wheat harvest.
- Jesus talked about the wheat of the world.
- The message is "Repent and turn to God."
- (Act 2:38-39 NLT) 38 Peter replied, "Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 This promise is to you, and to your children, and even to the Gentiles--all who have been called by the Lord our God."