Mark 14:32–36 (ESV) - 32 And they went to a place called Gethsemane. And he said to his disciples, “Sit here while I pray.” 33 And he took with him Peter and James and John, and began to be greatly distressed and troubled. 34 And he said to them, “My soul is very sorrowful, even to death. Remain here and watch.” 35 And going a little farther, he fell on the ground and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him. 36 And he said, “Abba, Father, all things are possible for you. Remove this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.”
1. He drank the cup of sin so we could be sanctified.
- 2 Corinthians 5:21 (ESV) - 21 For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
- He became guilty of all the sins I’ve ever committed.
- He became guilty of our combined sins.
- He became guilty of the sins of the world.
- We drink the cup of sanctification.
- All of our sins are removed.
- Psalm 103:12 (NLT) - 12 He has removed our sins as far from us as the east is from the west.
- Micah 7:19 (NLT) - 19 Once again you will have compassion on us. You will trample our sins under your feet and throw them into the depths of the ocean!
2. He drank the cup of bondage so we could be delivered.
- Mark 15:1 - They bound Jesus, led him away, and took him to Pilate, the Roman governor.
- Jesus became bound by ropes, bound to the whipping post, bound to the cross.
- Who is our oppressor?
- Sin is our master
- The flesh is our master.
- The god of this world is our master.
- Death is our master.
- You are now FREE
- Who the Son sets free is free indeed.
- When you see the cross and the man bound to it, know that you are set free.
- We are BARABBAS!
3. He drank the cup of the curse so we could be redeemed.
- Let the redeemed of the Lord say so
- If something is not redeemed, it is cursed.
- Galatians 3:13–14 (NLT) - 13 But Christ has rescued us from the curse pronounced by the law. When he was hung on the cross, he took upon himself the curse for our wrongdoing. For it is written in the Scriptures, “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.” 14 Through Christ Jesus, God has blessed the Gentiles with the same blessing he promised to Abraham, so that we who are believers might receive the promised Holy Spirit through faith.
- Cursed - Under wrath, under judgment
- Blessed - Under favor
4. He drank the cup of rejection so we could be accepted.
- One of the most staggering elements of the cross is when He said, “Why have you forsaken me?”
- The Son FORSAKEN
- Rejected by friends
- Rejected by society
- Rejected by leadership
- Rejected by God
- So you could be ACCEPTED.
- Accepted by God
- Accepted by heaven
- Accepted in the family of God