Ephesians 5:18-19 (ESV) 18 Don’t be drunk with wine, because that will ruin your life. Instead, be filled with the Holy Spirit, 19 singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, and making music to the Lord in your hearts.
Acts 2:4 (NLT) And everyone present was filled with the Holy Spirit and began speaking in other languages, as the Holy Spirit gave them this ability.
Four Effects of the Spirit-Filled Life:
1. The Spirit INFLUENCES
- When you are close to a person, you begin to smile like them, laugh like them, accommodate their views, etc.
- The Holy Spirit strongly influences your nature.
- The fruit of the Spirit comes from the influence of the Holy Spirit.
2. The Spirit INSPIRES
- The Holy Spirit inspired Bezalel to CREATE
- The Holy Spirit inspired Joseph to LEAD
- The Holy Spirit inspired Daniel to INTERPRET
- The Holy Spirit inspired David to WRITE
- If you are full of the Spirit, He will inspire you!
3. The Spirit IMPARTS
- Imparting God’s love
- Romans 5:5 (NLT) And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.
- Imparting God’s adoption
- Romans 8:15-16 (NLT) 15 So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God’s Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, “Abba, Father.” 16 For his Spirit joins with our Spirit to affirm that we are God’s children.
4. The Spirit INTOXICATES
- Ephesians 5:18-19 (ESV) 18 Don’t be drunk with wine, because that will ruin your life. Instead, be filled with the Holy Spirit, 19 singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, and making music to the Lord in your hearts.
- People use alcohol and drugs as a means to cope. When you are filled with the Spirit, you don’t need to cope.
- Jentzen Franklin - “You’re not drunk as you ‘posed to be”
How do you receive this infilling?
- Ask the Father - “He will freely give.”
- Open your life and welcome Him in - “Take the Holy Spirit.”
- Obey and submit - “Resisting is possible.”