Luke 4:1, 14 NLT - “Then Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan River. He was led by the Spirit in the wilderness, Then Jesus returned to Galilee, filled with the Holy Spirit’s power. Reports about him spread quickly through the whole region.”
When we lead our lives:
- We miss our purpose
- We feel uncertain
- We feel unfulfilled
The Holy Spirit did not come to follow; He came to lead.
The Christian life is one directed by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit leads us into three areas:
1. He leads to TRUTH
- John 14:16–17a (NLT) — 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. 17 He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth.
- John 16:13 (NLT) — 13 When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own but will tell you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future.
- 1 John 2:27 (NLT) — 27 But you have received the Holy Spirit, and he lives within you, so you don’t need anyone to teach you what is true. For the Spirit teaches you everything you need to know, and what he teaches is true—it is not a lie. So just as he has taught you, remain in fellowship with Christ.
- A great practical way to allow Him to teach you is through His Word. Don’t read the Bible like a history book; read it next to the author!
2. He leads to FRUIT
- The Apostles were entrusted with a message that could have easily died out with them.
- Acts 8:29 (NLT) — 29 The Holy Spirit said to Philip, “Go over and walk along beside the carriage.”
- Acts 10:19 (NLT) — 19 Meanwhile, as Peter was puzzling over the vision, the Holy Spirit said to him, “Three men have come looking for you.
- Acts 13:2 (NLT) — 2 One day as these men were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Appoint Barnabas and Saul for the special work to which I have called them.”
- Allow the Holy Spirit to awaken you to His will.
3. He leads into DESTINY.
- Jesus had a specific destiny, and so do you.
- Paul had a specific destiny, and so do you.
- Acts 20:22–23 (NLT) — 22 “And now I am bound by the Spirit to go to Jerusalem. I don’t know what awaits me, 23 except that the Holy Spirit tells me in city after city that jail and suffering lie ahead.
- Acts 20:24 (NLT) — 24 But my life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for finishing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus—the work of telling others the Good News about the wonderful grace of God.