Ephesians 5:17 (NASB95) — 17 So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.
1. God’s will is about God’s DESIRE.
2. God’s will is largely centered
around redemption and relationship.
- He desires to redeem and restore creation.
- He desires relationship with humanity.
3. Understanding God’s Will
- The Works of God (His Sovereign Will)
- Is not always revealed
- It is always done!
- The Ways of God (His Moral Will)
- Completely revealed
- It is the character of God.
- The Will of God (His Individual Will)
4. Where freedom comes
- What if the center of His will is more about His ways than an individual will?
- Not when but how (I live).
- Not what but why (I do).
- Not where but who (I am).
- The first priority in discovering the will of God is discovering the way of God.
- Focus on His way not His will.
- Moses focused on tending sheep; God set the bush on fire.
- Stop roaming around the desert looking for a bush on fire and start tending sheep.
1 Thessalonians 5:14–18 (NLT) — 14 Brothers and sisters, we urge you to warn those who are lazy. Encourage those who are timid. Take tender care of those who are weak. Be patient with everyone. 15 See that no one pays back evil for evil, but always try to do good to each other and to all people. 16 Always be joyful. 17 Never stop praying. 18 Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.
5. Could it be possible that God doesn’t care about every decision you make?
- Colossians 3:17 (NLT) — 17 And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father.
- Proverbs 3:6 (NASB95) — 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.
- St. Augustine - "Love God and do whatever you please: for the soul trained in love to God will do nothing to offend the One who is Beloved."