“For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.” - 1 John 5:4 ESV
1. Defining VICTORY
- IT IS FINISHED!!! Jesus won the victory, and no one can remove that victory.
- This was the sixth of seven statements spoken on the cross. God finished His work of creation on the sixth day, and Jesus finished His work of redemption on the sixth statement.
- What does victory look like practically?
- Victory is the atmosphere of heaven.
- You may look around and see no signs of victory.
- Victory is not an emotion. You cannot think that an emotional high is victory. Victory is far more than an emotion.
- You may or may not feel victorious, but because of Christ, you ARE victorious.
- It is a fact always, a feeling sometimes! SELAH.
2. Defeat is the enemy of VICTORY.
- Defeat is the opposite of victory.
- Victory is something that never changes, but you can lose your focus or grip in a moment and slip into defeat.
- You can know you are defeated when you find yourself turning to anger, food, isolation.
- Sneaky defeat: Sarcasm, gossip, negative news, fighting on social media, or drama of any kind loses the tone of victory and by default leads to defeat.
- If it is not victory, it is defeat! SELAH.
3. Do your victory dance!
- Look at the cross—where you dance.
- Know what the Bible says—why you dance.
- The Bible is a victory book.
- “Learn how to talk right. Learn to talk heaven talk. That is where the victory is!” (Norvel Hayes)
- Rely on the Holy Spirit, the one you are dancing with.
- The Holy Spirit understands only victory and will not work for those who entertain defeat.